Friday, April 10, 2009

Getting the word out

What a wonderful morning! Our gymnasts are right on track for team title #10 (nice alliteration). And Rashonda Cannie rocks - congrats to this awesome freshman for tying for the all-around national title!

We have a large contingent of family and friends at the national championship cheering on our ladies including our very own Chancellor and President, Dr. Ann Stuart!

There's a story on the front page of the Denton Record-Chronicle Sports section this morning complete with a color photo - thanks to Jeff and gymnastics die-hard photographer Art Nicklaus. And for those who don't get the local paper, there's this wonderful web site. How cool to get the meet scores sent to your cell phone if you sign up for the free SMS service (see the front page of twuathletics.com). I was sitting at Pioneer Field last night with our softball team as they battled Angelo State and I didn't worry about not knowing what was going on half a country away in Southern Connecticut. Jeff kept me informed with scores after each rotation. I couldn't wait for my phone to start playing "Vida La Vida" by Coldplay, which is the music I've set for my text message alert. After reading the text message, then I'd go into the press box and read Jeff's blog over Naveen's shoulder between pitches (Naveen was doing live stats so he'd go back and forth between softball and our blog).

We've come so far! I can remember filing stories and box scores before we had all these nice electronic advances...and how long it took to stand at the fax machine watching as each page slowly went through (or how frustrating it was when it didn't and you were in a hurry!). And there were plenty of times when you had to dictate a story over the phone to meet the paper's deadline! I could go on...but I won't. :)

So enjoy this blog and all the other cool tools we use to get the word out.

No comments: